Sunday, January 7, 2018

Leaving the Job I love...

If you have asked me 2 1/2 years ago if I wanted to be Labor Nurse, I would have a called you 4 kinds of crazy. If you have asked me if I ever had plans on leaving the ER where I currently work, I would have be like... bye Felicia.  But now, here we are 2 1/2 years later and a week from tomorrow, I start my job as labor nurse at totally different hospital. 

Let me start by saying that I absolutely love working in the emergency room. There is always such a level of excitement when the ambulance calls in and tells us they're 10 minutes out with a trauma or a cardiac arrest. I loved how fast the days went by! All my teachers told me they could see me being an ER nurse. It was literally the perfect fit.  I was so comfortable there! I knew the doctors and had the best relationship with the ER staff. It was so a home feeling. 
June 2015 -- First day techin' in the ER.
                                                              The Backstory
About a year or so into my job in the ER, I got the opportunity to shadow some nurses in labor and delivery. I fell in love. The happiness, the excitement of being about of a life-giving moment was so amazing. I actually remember having tears during the first birth that I was apart of. I remember calling my mom and telling her that THIS was it. THIS was what I wanted to do after I graduated. 

But... I still loved the ER. Yes, there were some days I dreaded going to work, but the family atmosphere made it so much better.  I thought maybe I was just having a moment and I really didn't want to be Labor nurse... It was just a phase. LOL , boy was I WRONG. 

                                    Learning to Operate in MY Season.
During my last semester in Nursing school, I found 3 jobs that I kept on my radar. 2 Labor Jobs (1 at the current hospital) and of course an ER position.  The first job I applied to was on Labor floor at a local hospital close to home. The second one was at the hospital I currently worked at. I just KNEW they would hire me... I'm in good standing with the my current management, I'm reliable, etc. So it made sense in my head that I would work there.

I waited TWO weeks... and I didn't hear anything back. I had even spoken with the recruiter and she told me I had an interview for the position and that she would call me back in few days.  A few days turned into about a week and a half and phone call that basically told me that the position I wanted was gone and that I could interview for the night shift position. SO after a lot of back and forth, I ended cancelling the interview for night shift and not rescheduling. Later that week, I received a call back telling me that position had been filled as well and that I was welcome to interview for another position on a different floor. I thought MAN this would be the perfect time for me interview and go work in the ER... BUT i respectfully declined and within 30 minutes of that phone call... I was hired as a Labor nurse at another hospital.


As EXCITED as I was to have job IN CHILD BIRTH, I couldn't help but wonder why things didn't work out at the other hospital. WHY did have to leave?!  & the response God had for me was LIFE-CHANGING.

Your season is up here. See the bible tells us in Ecclesiastes 3:3 that there is a time to kill, a time to heal, and time to break down, and a time to build up. Working there was my time to break down and build up. Every season that God allows us to grow through serves a purpose. There is something in every season that God needs us to understand and master in order to get to the next season. For THIS very reason, we have to learn to operate in the season that God has blessed us with. We have to learn to BLOOM with GRACE in the season that we are in. My season at that hospital prepared for the nurse that God has allowed me to be. And as much as love the emergency room... I know that this season had to come to an end. 

This season of my life truly taught me patience. No, I haven't mastered it... But I have DEFINITELY made progress. This season taught me that God is God of second chances and that even when it seems that it's all about to fall apart, God can turn EVERYTHING around. 

More than anything, this season has taught me to be brave. It taught me that nothing extraordinary happens inside my comfort zone and that to see God move... sometimes you've got to go BEYOND what you can see. My prayer that I never get to comfortable and become deaf to what God has to tell me. See, comfort for me was staying at that hospital. And as much as I hate to leave my friends,  I have to be obedient. I have to operate in THIS season.  

I don't what assignment this season holds! Maybe God has someone for me to impact at this new hospital, or maybe it's something TOTALLY unrelated to my job. But I do know one thing; I have NEVER seen the righteous forsaken. HE goes before me and HE goes with me. And even when seems hard, (because it will) I know that GOD is moving on my behalf. This whole season is so much more than just being a labor nurse...God has shown me that THIS season is just a stepping stone into my next season. 

It is incredibly painful to try and grow in place that God did NOT call you to be in. YES, it hurts and it's awkward, but the reward that comes with your obedience can't TOP the growing pains you're feeling. (Romans 8:18 -- the pain you're feeling now, doesn't compare to the joy that's coming)

So BE OBEDIENT and GROW . IF you KNOW God is calling you out of something... GO. Be obedient RIGHT NOW. Stop hesitating and stop looking for excuses. 
God GUIDES and PROVIDES. 

So, will I ever go back to the ER?
WHO knows?! (probably)   ðŸ˜…😅

- one beautiful thing about seasons... they always come back around. 
Operate in the season GOD has called you to be in.

xoxo
Court.

No comments:

Post a Comment